A PMO Start-Up Story and Workshop
Brief: This workshop will describe steps to stand-up a centralized Project Management Office in an IS environment. The first half of the workshop will discuss one campus’s 12-month start-up journey, including the Project Management Maturity Model framework, STARS assessment, SWOT analysis, Visioning, Planning, Staff Development, Performance Improvement, and Execution... along with the “magic” key ingredients for success. The second half of the workshop will lead individuals through a STARS profile, mini-maturity audit and readiness checklist.
Materials: An essential reading list will be provided: The Project Management Maturity Model, The First 90 Days, and Project Management for Experienced Project Managers, likely along with Harvard Business Review articles regarding strategy and leadership and other reference materials
- Components of a high-functioning PMO:
- Assessment approaches:
- Project Management Maturity Model
- STARS Assessment
- SWOT Analysis
- One Campus’s start-up experience and lessons
- Assessment results
- Prioritization of effort:
- Basic Processes
- Change Management
- Performance Improvement
- Magic Ingredients and Lessons Learned
- Workshop & group discussion
- Conduct mini project management maturity assessment of your own campus’s PMO level
- Conduct a STARS assessment to understand if your campus’s PMO is operating under a Start-Up, Turnaround, Accelerated Growth, Realignment, or Sustaining Success scenario
- Complete a readiness check-list and discuss ways to get to readiness
This workshop would apply to any IS department leader looking to start-up or reinvigorate a PMO or understand PMO structure. No pre-existing knowledge would be required; however, the presentation will be tailored for a leadership audience who can implement strategies.
PowerPoint, access to the internet and potentially video. A projection environment is required.